Thursday, August 31, 2006

London trip

Almost exactly a year ago I wrote about what one should do on a hypothetical trip to London. Now for a brief report on my actual trip last month. I stayed in Mayfair and did quite a bit of walking along Conduit, Regent, Piccadilly, Burlington Arcade and Jermyn Streets.


Gieves & Hawkes



Anderson & Sheppard


Here's a list of shops I visited or window shopped:
  • Shoes: John Lobb St. James, Edward Green, Cleverley, Foster & Son, Crockett & Jones, Church's, Trickers, Berluti, Cheaney
  • Shirts: Ede & Ravenscroft, Budd, Turnbull & Asser, New & Lingwood
  • Tailors: Kilgour, Anderson & Sheppard, Henry Poole, Dege & Skinner, Gieves & Hawkes, Huntsman, Meyer Mortimer, Jones Chalk & Dawson, Rubinacci
  • Accessories: Lock's, Swaine Adeney Brigg
  • Outerwear: Cordings
I noticed the English certainly like their pyjamas and gowns (e.g. Cordings, Budd window displays). Around 6pm one day I was in front of Anderson & Sheppard and noticed a couple of sewers in the basement working on their respective jackets.


John Lobb storefront


I also had a long chat with a nice fellow at Foster & Son, which is the subject of recent StyleForum thread.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Nice pictures.
I visited London last year. It is hard for me to describe the impression London left to me during my one week trip. On the one hand, it is such a famous city that I often felt unreal whilst I was there. But on the other hand, I have to say it is the most interesting city I have ever visited. It is a city where mixed old and new, home and foreign, old Rolls Roys, Bentleys and modern huge Limousine London vehicles. London has also a lot of tourist points; for example, the Big Bang, London Eye, Westminster Abbey. London is amazing city. I love it very much.
Thanks for nice blog, I really enjoyed reading.

sleevehead said...

Thanks for the note Richard. Yes, I agree - London is a great city, certainly worthwhile a visit just for the sights.