Monday, September 01, 2008

Los Angeles bespoke tailors: An updated list


View Larger Map

After a couple of years scouting this city for its tailoring gems, I'm ready to provide a more complete list of LA custom or bespoke tailors. There seem to be three categories of bench tailors in the city of angels:
  • Armenians (Novex, Gary Gagossian and Anto Shirtmakers). Harold is the tailor behind Novex. Gary is the eponymous tailor behind Gary Gagossian. Jack and Ken Sepetjian are the two sons of Anto Sepetjian who now cut and make the shirts at Anto Shirtmakers. Interestingly enough, the common thread among them is that they are all of the Armenian community, which has set up a little tailoring enclave in Beverly Hills.
  • Italians (Giacomo Trabalza, Enzo Caruso, Frank Caruso). I've written up on Trabalza before and despite my recent fear that he had retired he is still in business according to one of his colleagues in the trade. I've visited Enzo Caruso and a write-up is forthcoming. Frank Caruso is apparently Enzo's uncle. I'll need to check out his shop one of these days.
  • Others/clothiers (Jack Taylor). Jack Taylor was the one of the first tailors I visited in Los Angeles. Perhaps I should also add Duncan Quinn and Waraire Boswell to the map, as they appear to be trying to follow Taylor's steps as designers/clothiers to the (new) Hollywood set.

Note this mashup of LA tailors doesn't include a couple of affordable ones outside of Los Angeles County - Johnathan Behr and Ariel Tello - described in an earlier post.

Additional links
- AskAndy thread on Richard Lim / High Society

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in Enzo Caruzo and your comments

He's just up the street

Can you e-mail me so we can discuss further
ay329@ca.rr.com

Anonymous said...

Johnathan Behr is in Los Angeles County.

sleevehead said...

I stand corrected - Behr does operate and visit clients in LA county though I'm not sure what his exact address is.

bob-nicholson said...

I don't see Michael Sahi, of Michael's Custom Clothes (in Sherman Oaks)... http://www.michaelsahi.com

sleevehead said...

Thanks for mentioning Michael Sahi, I have not heard of him.

Interestingly, he also has a blog:

http://blog.michaelsahi.com/

Anonymous said...

also check out Art Lewin & Co. in Downtown Los Angeles...213 785 2400.. they are supposed to be #1 tailors in LA. good luck

sleevehead said...

Thanks for adding Art Lewin. He has a website as well.

artlewin said...

Our website is http://www.artlewin.com thank you sleevehead..

Anonymous said...

Gary Gagossian - his website is www.GaryGagossian.com

He's been in the business all is life, generations of tailors and he is the last in the family name. If you're going to get just one custom suit in your entire life, I would HIGHLY recommend it be a Gary Gagossian innovation, one that will cast you in the spotlight at any event.

I met Gary years ago and have been hooked ever since. All my suits and alterations are done at Gary's. No other suit feels the same after getting a custom one by him. Anytime my wife & I go out for galas/weddings/etc., I always get compliments and at least one person at every event asks me about my suit & where I got it from. Never fails.

I just tell them "Gary Gagossian of Beverly Hills". He's a great, dependable, down to earth guy. Highly recommended.

Anonymous said...

My friend I have used Harold Keleshian the owner of Novex Custom Tailors for over 25 years. He is the best in my opinion. The way he measure's me the suits, sport coats and shirts fit like a glove with Style. I get compliments at what ever event are gala I attend. Harold is one a very few Master Tailors still in Beverly Hills. Check out his website www.hnovex.com.

Elziroy Porter Jr. said...

My friend I have used Harold Keleshian the owner of Novex Custom Tailors for over 25 years. He is the best in my opinion. The way he measure's me the suits, sport coats and shirts fit like a glove with Style. I get compliments at what ever event are gala I attend. Harold is one a very few Master Tailors still in Beverly Hills. Check out his website www.hnovex.com.

Elziroy Porter Jr. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elziroy Porter Jr. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.