Sleevehead: Florsheim by Duckie Brown SS 2013                                                          

Florsheim by Duckie Brown SS 2013

    I recently attended a spring/summer 2013 preview of Florsheim by Duckie Brown, which are very affordably priced shoes.

Florsheim by Duckie Brown

I met Steve and Dan, the designers behind Duckie Brown, and they shared a bit of their journey in designing for this old mainstay American shoe brand. After being sold a few times, the company was reacquired several years ago by members of the original family that founded the company in 1892.

During their visits to the Florsheim headquarters north of Milwaukee, Steve and Dan naturally perused the company archives for design inspiration. During my visit, they pulled out and showed me a terrific vintage Florsheim 1941-42 shoe catalog that featured everything from boots to brogues. I would love to spend an afternoon in the Florsheim archives one of these days.

Labels: