Sleevehead: Ardalanish Tweeds                                                          

Ardalanish Tweeds

    When I was searching for the right overcoating fabric for my Ulster style overcoat last year, I looked at fabrics from Drapers, Harrisons and other established mills. I ended up going with a steel blue herringbone from Drapers. But I also looked at the more rustic tweeds made by Ardalanish, an organic farm and weaving mill located on the Isle of Mull, off Scotland's western coast.

Apart from the more rugged hand, these tweeds stand out with their distinctive natural dyes and colors such as Russian/silver twill and silver moorit. Ardalanish organic tweeds are made to Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS).

Some photos of their tweeds made up by Swedish women's designer Anja Hynynen:

Bolero jacket

"Hedgehog" jacket

You can see a selection of their tweeds, shawls, scarves and other accessories in their online catalogue. I still have their sample swatch book I ordered last year and have in mind one of their silvery tweeds for a future coat idea (more "country" than "town").

P.S. See my Twitter feed on the right for a limited time offer through May 10 on their tweeds.

Labels: , , ,